Thai Marriage Visa

Thai Marriage Visa

The Thai Marriage Visa or “O” visa is for those who are married to a Thai citizen. The visa unlike a tourist visa or a business visa is a bit more complicated however can be extended in Thailand for 1 year. We will give you a brief break down of the requirements of the marriage visa and the requirements needed to extend the Thai marriage visa at Immigration in Thailand.

If in doubt, always contact reputable attorneys such as Siam Legal otherwise you will end in an overstay and be deported and blacklisted.

When applying for a marriage visa you have to provide a copy of your wife’s Thai ID card and a copy of your marriage certificate. Once this visa is issued and it is a single entry it is valid for 90 days. During this 90 days you have to extend it at Thai immigration for a year and there are rules and regulations for these which you need to comply with. The main requirement is that of a financial nature and with the current changing rules, speak to an attorney as to what the exact amount is as of today. The financial requirements have been changed more than 3 times over the past 5 years and are always in a state of flux.

Once this has been issued you still need to report to immigration every 90 days to report your latest street address. This can be done in person, by your wife with your passport or via registered post. Should you not renew your 1 year marriage visa before the year expires, you would need to leave the country and start the process all over again. Hence, always keep abreast of changing rules and watch the expiration date on your extended marriage visa.

Update : For 2013 the documents needed for the Marriage Visa is as follows:

  • – Copy of your Thai wife’s ID card; (*)
  • – Copy of your Thai wife’s Tabian Baan; (*)
  • – Copy of your marriage certificate (Official and Fancy looking Thai one); (*)
  • – Copy of your passport; (*)
  • – Copy of your bank book showing 400,000 THB in a Thai bank; or
  • – Copy of income to show 40,000 THB per month in income; or
  • – Copy of a combination of the 2 (Deposit & Income);
  • – Copy of a map to your house/apartment in Thailand;
  • – Copy of photos of you and your wife together;
  • – Copy of birth certificates of any children.

Note that the above is for the extension from a 90 day visa to a 12 month visa in Thailand at Thai immigration. The only documents needed at the embassy for the 90 day visa is listed with a (*) behind it above. Note that the process take 3-4 weeks to complete. Note that once this visa has been extended you need to report your address to Thai immigration every 90 days. This is called 90 day reporting. Speak to our online consultant today to get the updated requirements for the Thai marriage visa. See also how to get the Thai marriage visa in 7 steps today on this website.